Capacity Full

Last Friday, we were messing around with fraction strips while working with equivalent fractions.  I was thinking to myself just how brilliant fraction strips are.  I can't tell you how many light bulb moments my kids had when we work with them.  Then it dawned on me....why not make fractions strips for different math strands?  So here you have it, my version of capacity strips (they aren't really strips...but play along).  Click on this link to download your own capacity strips.  My plan is to color copy them onto cardstock, laminate, and use them just like fraction strips. How many cups are in a gallon?  Place the cup pieces on top of the gallon to find out.  How many cups are in a pint?  Place the cup pieces on the pint strip to find out. Endless possibilities.  Move over gallon man, capacity strips are here!  LOL  J/K  I say use them both!  Or the big G...whatever works! The more ways they see it, the better they understand!  There is a labeled version and an unlabeled version.  I'm going to use the labeled version first and then the unlabeled to make sure they can identify pictures. 
 
Along with the capacity strips you have to sing the Alice the Camel Capacity Song.  I sang this back in the fourth grade and still use it today with my fifth graders. Who doesn't love to sing?  Make sure you have them roll their hands and shake their hips to the chorus!  :)
 
Camel Capacity Song
Sung to the tune Alice the Camel
 
2 half gallons in one gallon
2 half gallons in one gallon
2 half gallons in one gallon
So roll, baby roll
A boom, boom, boom
 
4 quarts in one gallon
4 quarts in one gallon
4quarts in one gallon
So roll, baby roll
A boom, boom, boom
 
8 pints in one gallon
8 pints in one gallon
8 pints in one gallon
So roll, baby roll
A boom, boom, boom
 
16 cups in one gallon
16 cups in one gallon
16 cups in one gallon
So roll, baby roll
A boom, boom, boom
 
Also, check out this video; it's a good introduction video.  Don't forget the Brainpops too!  Also, there is this interactive game that you can play where you have to fill different shaped containers with different amounts. How about this BBC game?
 
Measure on.


 

8 comments

  1. I love this post! I actually posted a freebie today on capacity review standard and metric. I'm new to 5th grade and will definitely use this with my group that is struggling with the concept. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ~Amanda Elementary Teacher Files 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to say I am a future 5th grade teacher and your blog is an amazing resource for all kinds of ideas and fun! Keep up the inspirational work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea about the capacity strips! Isn't it funny how we look at something and get that "duh! why didn't I think of this before?" moment? :)

    I found your blog via Fifth In the Middle's VA linkup. I'm in central VA teaching 2nd grade. Good luck on the writing test! I know our fifth grade teachers are getting ready for "Writing Boot Camp."

    :) Chrissy
    Adventures In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute idea. I'm teaching capacity soon. I'm a new follower.
    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  5. I might end up teaching math next year so this is great! :)

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I will definitely be using the song with my fourth graders! Thanks for the fun ideas :)

    Jenna
    www.fashionista-teacher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mimi, I just came across your blog today. What a neat idea! Very creative! I'm a new follower too! Thanks for the download!
    Jenn
    DoodlingAroundin6thGrade

    ReplyDelete
  8. Engaging read! I appreciate the depth of your analysis and the clarity in your writing style.craigslist texoma

    ReplyDelete