Mother Lode of Creative Writing Prompts

I hope everyone had a great 4th of July!  I spent the day yesterday procrastinating from unpacking, painting, and cleaning.  The good news?  I found some incredible sites for writing!  My kids in the past have always been more interested in my writing lessons that have been centered around images.  I decided to do a google search to find some interesting pictures that they could write from and I came across the mother lode!!!

 If you don't know about Luke Neff already, you MUST click here.  His writing prompts are A-mazing!  They are geared to the upper grades, but I can completely see some higher fourth graders or any fifth graders digging these prompts. For you younger grade teachers, I can see you getting some good ideas and adapting them to meet the needs of your kids.  I spent hours yesterday going through his archived prompts.  Again...A-mazing!  I will definitely be using some of them next year in my writing block!  If you are overwhelmed by the amount of writing prompts at my link above, here is a list of Luke's "most tried and true" writing prompts he uses.  If you have the time though, it's worth going through the others as well.  Of course, some of the prompts are way too difficult and/or not appropriate for the younger students, so use your best judgment! :) 

In one of Luke's posts, he mentions Karen Hallion.  She has these really cool images of different Disney characters in front of a booth of some sort, among other things.  Click here for her cool images that could really stimulate some creative writing!  Here, here, here, here are other sites I found with good pictures to write about. 

And wait...what about video writing prompts?  Check out this great writing prompt from Teacher Hub.  Click here for Teacher Hub's complete list of video writing prompts.  Here is a Pinterest page with a bunch of video prompts (most of which are from Teacher Hub). 

Now if this post doesn't keep you busy for hours....well...then you're nothing like me.  LOL  I was sucked in for HOOOOUUUURRRRS!! 

Write on.

15 comments

  1. Mimi, I just found your blog and I'm very excited to be your newest follower! I teach 4th and I know I've got some kids who would really be into these writing prompts. Thanks so much for sharing!
    Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas! I've pinned his site and plan to use it this year. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found him about a month and a half ago and started using them for my 5th graders on our kidblog. They lovedddddddddddddd them!! I am sure I didn't get the complete responses that upper grade students would give, but as they got used to them, they increased their length of responses as well as came up with some of their own. Their favorite was the superhero peeling oranges.. I got the most bizarre and hilarious responses on that one.

    Susan

    http://lopezlandlearners.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am your newest follower. I too teach 5th grade and I teach language arts. I am seeing so many clever ideas on your blog. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You say some really nice things about my writing prompts. Thanks. I'm hoping to get the time this summer to do a better job of sorting and labeling them so that the ones that are more appropriates for elementary/middle are set apart somehow.
    – Luke

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful, Mimi! You have breathed new life into writing for my tutoring students! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the list! That "booth" I believe is the tardis from Doctor Who. I may be a bit geeky! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. cảm ơn bạn Bình lọc cát Emaux P700

    ReplyDelete
  9. cảm ơn bạn về bài viết trên, tôi sẽ chia sẽ công nghệ xây hồ jacuzzi ngoài trời với bạn
    https://dichvubeboi.com/

    ReplyDelete